Using energy efficiently helps organizations save money as well as helping to conserve resources and tackle climate change. ISO 50001 supports organizations in all sectors to use energy more efficiently, through the development of an energy management system (EnMS).
An energy management system involves implementing a systematic approach to energy efficiency and is superior to ad hoc or traditional project-based approaches to improving energy performance. Typically, energy management systems combine best practices in project management, energy monitoring, and energy awareness along with an energy policy that governs an organization’s approach towards energy use and performance. This benefits an organization by enabling significant energy savings that are persistent since the organization’s personnel must continually monitor energy use and resolve anomalies or incidents that cause energy waste.
Benefits of ISO 50001 includes:
- A significant improvement of the energy performance level from an initial energy baseline.
- Organization to fix energy efficiency targets and objectives to meet the policy
- Use data to better understand and make decisions concerning energy use and consumption
- Measure the results of energy efficiency improvements
- Continually improve energy management